Goal: To educate the community through lectures and follow-up physical activities to healthier habits and improve their health, through participatory sessions attending participants needs and restrictions.
1. To create a group of participation and interaction
- Medical Students participated in the first kick-off and start events to set goals and meet-and-great participants and volunteers.
- Medical students are organized in groups as leaders of community participants (families)
2. To generate an active calendar for follow-up and workouts
- Small groups have been created based in location and times preferences
- Volunteers have been assigned to each group
- Monthly meetings will include lectures (hypertension, diabates, …) and workouts (also included in the bi-weekly meetings.
3. To track the progress of participant’s health
- Reminders are sent to participant every week
- We keep a list of attendees with dates of attendance and blood-preasure and weight
Diabetes Prevention Program:
A program offered in Spanish to address the main risks of developing type 2 diabetes. Weekly sessions take place at John Ruhrah Elementary/Middle School, and focus on lifestyle change with diabetes prevention education and physical activity. The participants’ goal is to lose 7% weight, and get a normal BMI, and increase physical activity to 150 minutes per week.