Committee Chair: Lisa DeCamp, MD
Goal: To provide safe, high quality healthcare and an exceptional patient experience for patients and families with limited English proficiency across Johns Hopkins Medicine.
- Priority 1: EPIC Resources in Spanish: Ensure that the advancements in healthcare quality, safety and patient engagement from use of the EPIC electronic medical record extend to Spanish-speaking patients and families
- Priority 2: Language Services: Adhere to National Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services in Health and Health Care across Johns Hopkins medicine through integration of language services across campuses and standardization of policies and protocols for caring for limited English proficient patients and families. One key component of language services integration is standardized implementation across Johns Hopkins Medicine of the existing policy on language proficiency testing for JHM healthcare workers who would like to communicate with patients in a non-English language.
- Priority 3: Collection of Patient Race, Ethnicity and Language Preference Information: Adhere to the Affordable Care Act and Maryland Health Services Cost Review Commission (HSCRC) standards to address health disparities and monitor population health through improving the quality of the race, ethnicity and language (REAL) data collected during clinical encounters
- Priority 4: Recruiting Employees with Language Skills: Better match our faculty and staff demographics to the language, culture and demographics of the communities we serve through improved recruitment and retention of staff with Spanish-language proficiency/fluency
- Priority 5: Signage and Website Access: Create a welcoming patient-centered environment for Spanish-speaking patients and families who may come to Johns Hopkins through increased Spanish-language signage and Spanish website access
Additional information: Monthly meetings at Mason F. Lord, Bayview Campus